Thursday 22 April 2010

Canadian quirks ....

Notice anything unusual?

It's unlikely that Canada will throw up as many crazy and surprising observations as China, but there are definitely some Canadian quirks and interesting observations I've made in my short time here so far.  Here a couple from the past week or so:

  1. Shops are open really late .... even the banks!  A bank that is open until 8pm really does make sense though.  Despite this advantage over Australia, Canada still don't offer Visa debit cards and transferring money internationally is a little tricky.  Both these factors make managing my financial affairs slightly more complicated than usual.
  2. The light switches go the opposite way to ours in Australia .... you have to flick them up to turn them on, not down.
  3. The shops are filled with an enormous array of 'convenience' foods.  It took me ages to find basic baking ingredients today (we're cooking ANZAC biscuits tomorrow) .... it seems that not many people bake!
  4. And lastly, in case you hadn't realised ...... the cars have no number plates on the front of the car, only the back.  It did take me a while to work this out, for a while I thought I may have been driving a stolen car!
The cultural quirks are what makes a place unique and I can't wait to discover more on my travels.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Alberta is crazy! People can drink there when they're 18 (and in Quebec) but the rest of teh country is 19. In Nova Scotia, we can ONLY buy our booze at an NSLC (Nova Scotia Liquor Commission) as well. Up until 2005 or 2006, our shops and malls were CLOSED on SUNDAYS! But because of other provinces like Alberta, we changed that so all shops are open on Sundays...but not banks and stuff. AND our banks all close at 4:30 sharp - I know that cause my momma dearest worked at one. Yes, mOmma! :P It's almost a different world out there, eh?
Alrite, I'm off for some eats and beach...my lips got burnt yesterday...not a great feeling...but the rest of my body IS worse off! :P Miss ya! :)
I already facebooked you bout this car!