Friday 9 April 2010

'Driver to the middle, passenger to the curb' ....

The beginning of the snowstorm

'Driver to the middle, passenger to the curb' has been my mantra for the past two days as I learn to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road.  It's fair to say that I was more than nervous about driving here but despite a few minor hiccups, I will modestly say that I'm doing a fine job so far!  My first practice run down the (super long) drive way nearly ended in tears when my (yes, male) boss told me to floor it so that we could squeeze through the automatic gates that were closing.  This close call was followed by my drive into Black Diamond for a massage and back out to the ranch.  Luckily for me, my (female) boss was with me as the car refused to start, produced a large popping sound promptly followed by smoke bellowing out of the bonnet.  It was a long walk up the road.  Not a great start to my driving experiences. To top off my Canadian 'L' plate experiences, yesterday I drove all the way to a suburb on the outskirts of Calgary (with only a few wrong turns on the country roads) to meet the family for dinner.  The dinner conversation was obviously enthralling because none of us realised that a snow storm was brewing outside.  So, my second driving experience had me finding my way home in the snow, let's just say it was a slow trip home chanting 'driver to the middle, passenger to the curb' most of the way.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Ahahha, you know, we actually drive on the RIGHT side of the road (literally and figuratively)...you guys are on the WRONG side :P And snowstorm? Was it REALLY a snow storm or just what you think was a snowstorm? Either way, I hope you see a LOT of snow while you're there...at least once! So excited for you in Cowtown area! :)
Melinda :) xoxoox
I downloaded and paid for a VPN so I could creep on Facebook and the sort...that's committment! :P

Anna Davidson said...

How did I know that you would have to comment on this, you crazy Canadian?! The locals called it a snowstorm, so I'm just taking their word for it, not exaggerating! Go you and your creeping! xxx