Friday 23 April 2010

What I'm reading ....

Since my social life is somewhat limited here (working on your own in the middle of nowhere kind of kills your social life!), I've had plenty of time to read and I've loved reacquainting myself with my books.  I'm currently reading 'Dark Summit', a great read about the 2006 climbing season on Mt Everest, and have a pile of other unread books to get through.




Joining the library was high on my 'to-do' list but it has been a little tricky than expected ...... I managed to join the local Black Diamond library (for a fee) but the choice of books is somewhat sketchy and ancient (they still have videos for goodness sake) but I was rejected from the Shawnessy library because I didn't live within the city limits.  So, reluctantly (yeah right), I visited the nearest bookstore, Chapters.  Much to my delight, it was filled with a fantastic range of books and paper products, and also had a cafe (albeit a Starbucks) attached.  I browsed for well over an hour, marvelling at the number of books (mostly chick lit) on sale as well as making a mental list of books I wanted to buy.  My main purpose for the visit was to buy a book for my uni project ('Living with Intensity' - scary title, hey?!) but I also allowed myself to buy two novels and I chose very carefully, with the help of the ever-growing 'must read' list in my diary.  My two choices were 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog', which I had heard was a gorgeous read and also a beautiful movie which was screened at the French Film Festival.  My second choice was Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' ... another 'must read' according to many people.



On a return visit to the library, I did manage to find a couple of interesting books in the travel section.  I'm looking forward to reading 'Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad' because I'm sure it will be something I can relate to.  I also picked up 'Running with Scissors', which comes with good reviews.  Several books on hiking in the Calgary foothills area are also sitting next to my bed. Unfortunately my reading progress has slowed considerably with my upcoming university assignments calling for my attention.




2 comments:

Warrick said...

Hi Anna; great to see a reading post. Have you used Shelfari? I keep all my reading there now. I was in a meeting the other day and we were saying that we'd like our school library site to look like a cross between Shelfari and Amazon! My shelf here: http://www.shelfari.com/warrick/shelf

Anna Davidson said...

Hi Warrick, I'd never heard of Shelfari before .... but thank you for providing a distraction from completing my uni assignments! What a great place to share thoughts on books and get new reading suggestions! Thanks.