Monday 19 April 2010

Running in the Rockies ....

The Rockies (Banff)

Getting into a good exercise routine when settling into a new country is always a difficult thing and it's been a little bit of struggle here but I'm on track now!  I've just signed up to run a half marathon in the middle of the Canadian Rocky Mountains in mid September.  The run is held in Canmore, a small town about an hours drive from here, on the way to Banff where I visited last week.  The website describes the course as following a beautiful route through woodlands, beside mountain streams, and through a historic mine site, with stunning views of mountain scenery. The track is a combination of ashpalt and high quality gravel with several short climbs and winding paths.   Sounds quite nice, hey?  Now I just need to begin training for it.  This afternoon, before I ran, I took the car and measured out some distances so I have some idea of how far I am running.  Luckily, there is a huge variety of places to train - quiet country roads, the ranch here in the hills, the family's other ranch through the farmland and valleys .... boredom won't be a factor, that's for sure.  Today, I just did a short run to the end of the driveway and back ... sounds easy, right?  Factor in the fact that the drive way is 5.6 km (there and back), all up and down hills and at an altitude of 1500 metres .... short but hard run!  My good routine will continue tomorrow when I venture down to Black Diamond to join the gym.


The Bow River winding its way towards Canmore.

No comments: