Saturday 17 April 2010

"Shhhh ..... the bears are sleeping"

"Is there a bear in there?"

It would be an understatement to say that I'm terrified of having a bear encounter here in Canada.  So far, I have been very cautious when out wandering and I've listened to all the advice given to me.  The advice is all a little conflicting though.  "Always take the dogs with you when you're walking or running on the property" claimed one of the ranch's cowboys.  So, diligently, I have been taking Malibu and Belle (who I might add are always very willing to go for run) on my runs and walks.  I mentioned this to someone else who said "Oh no, the dogs will get scared and lead the bear right back to you."  Okay.  No more running in the forest with the dogs.

Open grass land is a little safer .... apparently

Then there is the "The bears are sleeping, you'll be okay" train of thought.  Last week, we drove past the start of a hiking trail that was supposedly very beautiful and was okay to walk at this time of year by myself because the bears were sleeping.  Yesterday, I was feeling particularly energetic on my run and found myself at the trail .... "Okay, I'll be brave" was my thought as I plunged into the icy darkness of the woods.  I knew that noise was the key, so as I ran, I clapped my hands and sang along to my ipod ... quite a sight (or sound) considering that some of my 'exercise' playlist consists of 'mother f#*@king music' (the very elegant term for most rap music as coined by my dear mother).  But, my fear of bears made me run a lot harder and I will definitely be returning to the trail with my camera because it was indeed a stunning trail.  Today, I boasted about my beautiful (and challenging - it was all uphill) run and I got some odd looks .... "Oh, you shouldn't go through there by yourself, the bears are just starting to wake up."  Oops.


Warm weather = bears wake up

As you can see, the advice is very conflicting and although I know that a bear attack is about as rare as a shark attack, try telling that to my irrational, overworked mind.  So, I consulted my dear friend Google for some advice.  The 'Parks Canada' website (after firstly proclaiming that bear attacks are uncommon) recommends in italics, You should always carry bear spray with you.  Okay, add it to the shopping list.  It then gets a little more complicated as they explain how to avoid an attack (make noise, travel in groups, don't approach a bear etc) and then gives advice on what to do if a bear attacks.  There are two types of attack - defensive and predatory.  The suggestion (in BOLD CAPITALS) is if it is a defensive attack, you should PLAY DEAD and if it is a predatory attack, you should FIGHT BACK.  Got that?

Stream on ranch

I ventured out on a walk today, listening to the latest bear advice (stay on the wider, more open tracks on the ranch) but still was a little wary and I kept glancing behind me as I walked.  I'm not really sure what I am expecting, I mean do I really think that I will turn around and see a bear just casually strolling behind me?  


Stream in the process of thawing

Another one of my bear related fears is that if, on the very small chance, I do come across a bear is that I will go into tourist mode and whip out my camera, as I have done every time I have encountered deer, a squirrel or just a pretty mountain.  However, I need to put my fears behind me because the hills and valleys in the area are just begging to be explored and I intend to cover every inch of them over the next 6 months, whether the bears are asleep or wide awake.


I'm not sure what my fascination with photos of bare trees against a blue sky is ... 


No comments: