Friday 16 April 2010

A food haven ....

Bulk buy flours, nuts, seeds, pastas, rices etc.

Last week I visited the Safeway supermarket for the first time and I was highly disappointed at their range of health foods.  They had a great selection of (unnaturally) bright yellow cheeses and a huge variety of sugar coated cereals but no natural muesli, no sun-dried tomatoes and no wheat free products.  However, today I went shopping with a local foodie who introduced me to the Community Health Shop .... I was in food heaven and probably made a spectacle of myself as I ooohhhed and aaahhhed over the great range of wheat-free and organic products.  I was particularly impressed with their bulk buy section where I filled about 10 bags with an assortment of grains, seeds and nuts, all proclaiming to cleanse my system and extend my life.  Other great finds included brown rice lasagne sheets, an organic dark chocolate that is divine (and may have already been demolished!), a gluten free brownie (special occasions only) and some nut and seed bars that are fantastic for travelling.  I then spoilt all my healthy choices by stocking up on Canadian wines at the liquor store.  Organic chocolate and wine ... that's healthy, isn't it?



2 comments:

Suse said...

I love reading your blog Anna.
So great to hear that you're settling in... and this health food shop sounds amazing, expensive though?
I'm hoping that your next photo is of you....all "cowboyed" up!
Lots of love.

Anna Davidson said...

Hey Suse! Thanks for your kind words. It's hard to believe I haven't even been here 2 weeks! The health food shop is wonderful and I just learnt that there is an even bigger one in the centre of town. It's not too expensive either! Stay tuned for the Cowgirl Anna shots! Love to everyone. xxx